The Vadakkancore kingdom
Kumarakom’s history is known
to be diverse and extremely rich. It is believed that Kumarakom derives its
name from the person called Kumaran, who was a deity highly worshipped in the
region. Actually a group of islands, it was owned by Vadakkancore Kingdom.
Nevertheless, the place was conquered by Marthanda Varma, who founded
Travancore rule here in the year 1750. He also gave permission for the
construction of a church in the year 1769.
Kumarakom was once a part of
the Vadakkancore kingdom. The King of Travancore, Marthanda Varma, conquered
this region in 1750 and it became a part of the kingdom of Travancore. The
first Christian Church was built in this region in 1769, with permission from the
King of Travancore. This backwater village began developing into the beautiful
tourist hotspot that it is today after the English farmer Alfred George Baker
came to Kerala in 1847. Baker reclaimed 500 acres of the Vembanad Lake and
developed it into a garden land and paddy fields. He constructed his family
home, which came to be called the Baker House as well as the History House.
Four generations of Bakers occupied this home till 1962. Some of the members of
the Baker family established the Baker Memorial School in Kottayam around 1825.
The Baker House, which was in ruins, was acquired by the Taj Group and
renovated, and it is now a luxury heritage hotel.
Kumarakom shot to fame in
1947 when around 500 acres of its surrounding land was taken over by Alfred
George Baker, a British farmer. Till date, he is given the credit of
transforming the land and developing it as coconut plantations, and paddy
fields. He also constructed the popular Baker House, which was the residence of
around four generations of Bakers resided. Today, it is a heritage hotel and
Kumarakom is a sought-after attraction.