Murshidabad district of West Bengal was once the capital of Bangla, Bihar and Odisha (formerly known as Orissa). The last capital city of independent Bengal was named after Nawab Murshid Quli Khan, the Dewan of Bengal, Bihar and Odisha. It is situated on the banks of the Bhagirathi. A city of splendors and famous for its silk, was made capital of Bengal in 1717. The British shifted the capital to Kolkata in 1773.Currently the city of Berhampore is its administrative headquarters.